Skip to main content

The grayscale challenge

There was an article in NY Times about turning phones to grayscale. I found it while waiting in line in a theatre, January 18th. The line was long and as anybody else in the line, I was holding my phone in front of my face, reading and texting.

The basic idea is that the colors bring attention and with turning them down you can control the attention. I do not want to repeat once written, here is the original article:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/12/technology/grayscale-phone.html

Immediately I used the display filter on my iPhone and turned display into grayscale. I did not find it strange first. After more than two months, I turned the display back to normal color mode. Here are my personal observations:

  1. Text: Obviously, no problems. Reading online can be even better, because you can ignore ads more easily.
  2. Camera: I like black and white photography, it was OK.
  3. Images: My photos were OK, however with some pictures from other people I wished to see colors.
  4. Video: Watching videos felt like watching and old TV. I almost stopped watching videos (mostly on youtube) on my phone.
  5. Maps: This was the biggest problem. Especially with a subway map, I could not tell the color of a line. I use maps often in the city. For me this is important and the reason to go back to colors.

What did I learn? With grayscale display, the world around you seems to be more attractive than your phone. However it can be impractical for some applications. Customized filters for apps could be a good compromise.

You can read other experience here:
https://blog.mozilla.org/internetcitizen/2018/02/13/grayscale/


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

iMac G3: Mac OS X 10.4.11

So my goal to install Mac OS X Tiger has come true. Firstly I needed Tiger on CD's and that was a big problem because you can buy Tiger mostly on DVD although there are also some CD versions but very expensive. But I was lucky because friend of my friend, Neuromanc, lent me this very rare 4-CD version. So thanks again :-). My iMac is not officially supported because it has no FireWire. But you can override this with software XPostFacto . I downloaded and installed the latest version so I could use it with Mac OS X 10.3 (the previous versions worked only with OS 9). I erased HDD entirely before the installation just to be sure. After first restart the installation continued from other CD's. The installation process took approximately one hour and ran without problem. After registration the update process started-up and took another hour or more. It was repeated several times ma inly due to Java updates. Then finally I could download software and this time the latest versions. I ...

Our Wedding

“When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.”  When Harry Met Sally... (1989) In the midst of a global pandemic, when the future was so uncertain, we knew that it wouldn’t be a traditional wedding.  Our wedding planning all started months ago in our small Upper West Side studio apartment. We began planning our wedding together the day after we got engaged (but if you know anything about Mia, you would know that she had really been planning her wedding day since she was a little girl). Without all the answers and with a lot of moments of “wait..., what!?”, we began planning the day that would mark the beginning of our lives together. And like in the movie quote, we both agreed that we wanted that day to start as soon as possible, before the situation with COVID-19 in New York, and in the world, got worse. Truth be told, the process was anything other than what we expected wedding planning w...

ToneMatrix

Dnes som klikol na tipy na víkendové surfovanie na sme.sk a to viacmenej preto, že som tam zbadal odkaz na komponovanie hudby. Kde-kto by si už myslel, že slávna formácia Fore-Boiler Band patrí dávnej minulosti, avšak je to pravda len z polovice. Presne z polovice, lebo polovica skupiny o tomto mojom počine (ak sa to tak dá nazvať) nemá ani tušenia - dokiaľ nepošlem odkaz na tento článok. Polovica skupiny sa rozhodla oprášiť hudobno-tvorivú časť svojho mozgu a tu je výsledok. Podobne ako ostatní používatelia tohto flashového hudobného nástroja, aj ja som sa stal na pár desiatok minút na ňom závislý. Samozrejme tu je odkaz: http://lab.andre-michelle.com/tonematrix Ovláda sa veľmi jednoducho, pochopiť sa to dá hneď po prvých klikoch. Ako prvé ma napadlo vytvoriť obrázky a vypočuť si ako hrajú. Nebolo to zlé, ale mne sa to veľmi nepáčilo. Tu sú niektoré z nich: Potom som náhodne klikal na maticu a počúval. Niektoré zvuky som zperiodizoval až mi to dávalo nejaký zmysel. Alebo som spravil ...