Skip to main content

#covid19 in the Upper West Side

As of today, New York’s total death toll rose to nearly 3,000, double what it was only three days earlier. The total confirmed cases in the world is 1,141,190 and more than 57,000 of those are in New York City alone. The news is full of sad stories. My family and friends are asking me about the situation in the city on a daily basis. It must be shocking for them to watch the news aboutNew York. But, in fact, how is my life in the Upper West Side?

My last day of work before this lockdown period was March 16th. That day, I gave some data to my colleague, packed my desktop computer in my hiking backpack and walked the 20 blocks home. A lucky move, because a few days later, our institute officially closed their doors. Since then, Mia and I have lived and worked together in my/our apartment, which is around 20 square meters large (200 square feet), in the Upper West Side of Manhattan.

Since Mia and I started dating, we had a rule to live together only after our engagement. We both wanted to work and live together during the COVID-10 pandemic, so therefore, on our 1.5 year anniversary, I proposed to her in the kitchen of my apartment. And she said yes (!). It happened right after we moved some of her things to my apartment and I carried her over the threshold. A dear friend dedicated this song to us after we shared the news of our engagement with our world. And it couldn’t be more fitting.

Weeks before the New York state official locked down, I bought a new table and an external display for Mia. This was an early present for her, before officially moving in, which we had originally planned for the end of May. Asit turned out, this was a very lucky and timely present because we essentially made home offices for us both in our little apartment.

Mia in our home office space.

Living together is great for me. I don’t know anybody who is able to have this experience of being engaged and living with her/his fiance/fiancee in a closed space 24/7. As one of my friends put it, this is a great test before marriage. We shop, work, work out, relax, work some more, watch youtube, play scrabble online, brush our teeth, and much more ... together.

We found a ball in Riverside Park during one of our afternoon runs.

We had some creative moments like, camping in the living room:

Our original idea for living room camping was from Lukas, who ment it as a joke. Well, I took it more seriously.

We are both very lucky to have work and we can work from home. Mia’s work requires her to have virtual meetings and calls with many people throughout the day, while I need a quiet environment to work and stay focused. For our small apartment we found two solutions:
  • Noise cancelling headphones. I bought Sony WH-1000XM3, because they seemed to be one of the best out there. 
  • Mia, as a true New Yorker, made her detached office space in the closet:

Clothes removed = a lot of space to work!

Going out is a necessity for us. We go running at least every other day. Rain or shine. Mia prefers to run in the rain. Occasionally we bike as well, if time and weather permits.

This is a video from our biking in the city on March 21 (beginning of spring):


Note the many people in parks and we even spotted a farmers market (!) in Union Square. But the city tried to implement social distancing:

The city tries to inform people via LinkNYC panels: #AloneTogether
People want to help each other as well:

Arthur the Happy Hermit says, “Make loneliness your friend and you will never be alone.”

We had a very good experience at Trader Joe’s grocery store close to 92nd Street. Customers were mindful of keeping their distance and were well organized by employees. The shopping cart handles were disinfected by employers wandering throughout the store. In general, there was enough food in the grocery store and we were able to get everything we needed. Employees also wore face masks. The grocery store Garden of Eden, installed a protective glass for the cashier workers as well.

Organized queue in front of Trader Joe’s. The mess on the street does not have to do anything with COVID-19. This is typical NYC.

I do not have any problem getting my medicine. All drug stores are open. Every week we order a delivery from Whole Foods or Amazon Fresh which comes on time. All of our other Amazon deliveries come on time or even earlier.

A few days ago the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommended wearing a face mask. Until now, we have received mixed messages about wearing them. In contrast, everybody in my home country Slovakia has been wearing face masks for at least 2 weeks now. I was able to find 10 overpriced  face masks this morning for $20 from a small shop on Broadway. We use buffs as well.

The vibe in the Upper West Side is very calm. Slower traffic than usual, and therefore less pollution and more quiet. Everything slowed down, including us, and it seems that people enjoy their lives here. Mother nature continues to celebrate spring and shows her beauty amidst all that is going on.


Evening in Central Park.

Afternoon in Fort Washington Park with a view of the Hudson River, the Upper West Side and Midtown.


My new favorite spot in Riverside Park close to 66th Street.

Life in our little apartment in the Upper West Side will continue at least for another month. We are not complaining.

Mia edited and improved the text.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Yamaha S08 - sticky keys repair

My keyboard Yamaha S08  suffered from several "sticky keys" disease already a year, perhaps more. That saying, I am pretty bad piano player. However, I like to have my devices fully functional for any cases. I have found a very helpful guide , but with no photos. I made some for better visualization of the repair. First, I unfastened all screws from both sides: Second, I unfastened all screws from a wooden base plate which were holding the part with electronics. Then I unfastened the golden screws holding the whole keyboard to the wood. The keyboard was now accessible from both sides. The last step is described in the following video. It was just removing the sticky keys and reinserting them without a metal spring coming inside. The end of the metal spring has been left outside of the key: So far it works well!

Windows 7 RC Ultimate on HP Compaq nx6110

I have never tried Vista on my laptop, because it is well suited for WinXP and I don't like Vista. But what if you can download the new Win 7 RC for free? I'm using Windows XP since I have bought my old laptop HP Compaq nx6110 (1,4 Ghz Celeron M, 768 MB RAM). WinXP runs on this laptop really fast and smoothly, but I have turned every "eyecandy" off and it looks like old Win95 now. But I like this neutral look. Last week I was closed in my room for two days installing and trying different Linux distributions. After this time I ended with Arch Linux installed on my hard drive - system was stable and either WiFi worked well. Then I realized, that I have spent so much time and done nothing useful. So I decided to work with WinXP and don't bother with other OS (like 2 weeks with Mac OS X a month ago). But NO. Incidentally I got to this website and started immediately download the iso image. The download process ran in Java and I had download speed about 800 KB/s, tha

... Shenandoah River

“Almost heaven, West Virginia Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River”   John Denver: Take Me Home, Country Roads Shenandoah National Park is relatively close to NYC. It was May and we already knew that we were moving to Boston at the beginning of June. We only had a couple of weeks to visit this park by car since the distance from Boston would be too ... distant. Sure, there was a lot to pack and do but the mountains simply couldn’t wait. We hit the road early in the morning on May 22nd. The visit of West Virginia was not optional. We made a stop at Harpers Ferry.  We had dinner at a restaurant along the river and of course we made a quick stop at the Appalachian Trail Visitor Center (unfortunately it was closed due to COVID). Harpers Ferry was a beautiful quintessential small town with historical landmarks. At the end of the day we built our tent in Low-Water Bridge Campground . The Shenandoah river was flowing right next to our tent but we were so tired that we did not end up going