After one year, when I have bought old iMac G3, my thinking about computers has changed. I knew that my next computer will be an Apple one. After finalization of my diploma thesis, my HP laptop has broken down. Since then I was using desktop. Thinking about buying a new laptop came when I decided to go study in Vienna. I needed some portable and not expensive computer.
So I started looking for some Apple Macbook. Actually MacBook Pro. Mainly because of the graphics and body. After few days of exploration I realized that I can afford MacBook Pro 3,1 late 2007. 3 years old machine but still very nice and solid computer. First times I was unsuccessful. But once I was lucky. I was sitting in the train to Vienna and I browsed web on my mobile phone. I opened Google and typed "macbook pro 2007 wien". And a fresh advertisement appeared! I wrote down the telephone number and called immediately after I came to Südbahnhof. We arranged meeting in Hütteldorf and the next day the MacBook was mine for 650€.
Here are the specs: http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/stats/macbook-pro-core-2-duo-2.2-15-santa-rosa-specs.html
+ currently installed 4 GB RAM
- battery lifetime is approx. 25 min
- only one small scratch (previous user was a woman :-))
+ OS is Snow Leopard 10.6.
After three weeks of using it works great. I had some experience with Mac OS X from iMac G3 so migration to this platform was painless.
Until today - worth it!
yoo
ReplyDeleteThe pre-unibody late 2007 Santa Rosa MacBook Pro was such a legendary bridge machine for students transitioning into the Mac ecosystem! Having that matte aluminum build, Core 2 Duo performance, and robust port selection made it an absolute workhorse for university life abroad. When I'm taking a break from reading retro tech blogs and Mac OS X history posts, I usually drop by Xuper TV for pc on my phone to check out live broadcast channels. Great post on retro Apple hardware!
ReplyDeleteStarting out with an old iMac G3 and gradually moving up to a portable 15-inch Pro model for studying in Vienna is such a classic Mac collector's journey. Those late 2007 models running OS X Snow Leopard were amazingly reliable for writing papers and daily multitasking back then. On quiet evenings after checking out vintage computing blogs on my tablet, I like to relax on the couch with Xuper TV official app link on my device to watch live broadcasts. Loved reading this memory!
ReplyDeleteIt's amazing how a sudden hardware breakdown on a Windows laptop ends up pushing so many people to try Mac OS X for the first time. Buying a pre-owned 2007 MacBook Pro offered unbeatable value for budget-conscious students who needed real computing power on the go. Whenever I'm taking a breather from reading tech journals and retro laptop reviews, I usually log into Xuper TV para android on my computer to stream live media. Great write-up!
ReplyDeleteThat classic silver keyboard and non-unibody aluminum enclosure gave the 2007 MacBook Pro such a timeless look. Finding a well-maintained second-hand unit right before moving abroad for university was definitely a huge win. Sitting back in the evening to tune into live streams using Xsuper TV is my favorite way to unwind after reading a fun nostalgic blog entry like this. Awesome post!
ReplyDelete