Last year, me and my friend Lukas, we planned another skitour trip to High Tatras in Slovakia. However a couple of last skitters I complained about the quality of the glue on my skins. Usually when I saw Lukas or Michal going uphill without no problems and me fighting with my skis and the mountain. The time for regluing of my skins finally came.
I used very general and easy intructions I found on the web:
- Put the paper on the sticky part of the skins, heat it up with an iron.
- When you feel the glue is hot, semi-liquid (and stinks, as in my case) - remove the paper. The paper contains the dirt and also some glue.
- Repeat the step 2 till all the the glue is gone.
- Uniformly spread the new glue over the skins. I used the glue by Austrian company Kohla.
- Wait several hours till the glue dryes (this depends on the glue manufacturer).
Prepare a lot of paper and some (preferably old) iron. This is an example of the dirt and glue that is caught up by the paper.
For comparison - right skin after a first ironing over papers. If I had enough and good glue on the skins, I would stop here - with paper and iron you are able to get rid of the dirt and not that much of the glue. Because my old glue was poor quality I decided to exchange it completely for the new one.
Adding the glue on the clean skins.
This video shows the same method I used:
Good luck with the regluing!